|Mixed-media on paper|
|Mark Dicey, Robert Motherwell, David Hockney, Julian Schnabel and the Mexican muralistas: Diego Rivera, Jose Clemente Orozco, David Alfaro Siqueiros, and Rufino Tamayo|
|See all of David Cheney's work here.|
Spread the word about David Cheney
Abstract artist, global traveller and literature-loving linguaphile
Hailing from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, David Cheney graduated from the Alberta College of Art in 1984, majoring in painting and minor printmaking. In 1987 David went on to study at the Aegean School of Fine Art in Paros, Greece, and gained an MFA from York University, Toronto, in 1990. After graduating from York, he taught watercolour for two continuing education programmes in Calgary until 2007.
David has also enjoyed many travels to the United States, Mexico, Spain, France, Germany and Portugal.
"For most of my art career, inspired by my travels, I have worked in oil or watercolours, painting mostly from memory or from sketches. I have used a very loose painterly brush stroke so I have never considered my work realism. Over the last five years, however, I have expanded into abstraction with paper pieces. My premise is simple: inspired by a thought, a book that I have read, an image from a walk, I select some colours, load a brush, then paint on paper. I may add photos or text in a collage manner, then add ink or even more colour to round out the final image.”
Currently residing in Calgary,David is a member of the Artpoint Gallery and Studios Society where he also maintains a studio. He has donated his art to a variety of charities over the years and continues to donate to this day.
As well as art and travel, David's other passion is reading; in particular, Spanish, Portuguese and French literature. Since retiring, he has also become a walking and wildlife enthusiast.
- 2019 El aire más transparente, Artpoint Gallery, Calgary.
- 2017 Bulerias y cositas buenas, Artpoint Gallery, Calgary.
- 2016 100 Years Of Solitude & Other Stories, Artpoint Gallery, Calgary.
- 2015 Travels with My Aunt and Other Neurotic Stories, Artpoint Gallery, Calgary.
- 2014 Painting Autism: 20 Years of Painting My Daughter, Artpoint Gallery, Calgary.
- 2013 Catalunya, Artpoint Gallery, Calgary.
- 2011 Dreaming in Méxican: Reflections on Recent Travels, Artpoint Gallery, Calgary.
- 2000 Flowers for Autism, Calgary Jewish Centre.
- 1990 Odyssey: A Shrine for Nikos Kazantzakis, York University, North York, Ontario.
- 1987 New Works, The Aegean School of Fine Art, Paros, Greece.
- 1986 The Exposure Series: Banalaties and Decorum, Off Centre Centre, Calgary, Alberta.
Selected group exhibitions
- 2019 & 2020 Latin American Art Exhibition & Festival, Casa Mexico Foundation, Calgary (Online).
- 2018 Sad Bastards and Bad Luck Ball, Elephant Artists Relief, Calgary.
- 2017 I love Art, 4th Biennal Fundraiser, High River Rotary Club.
- 2014 Frances Vettergreen and David Cheney, Midtowne Gallery, Calgary.
- 2013 Trip the Light Fantastic, Alberta Society of Artists, Walterdale Theater, Edmonton.
- 2012 Incidents of Travel, Alberta Society of Artists, Leighton Art Centre, Alberta.
- 2010 By Means of Watercolor: June Montgomery, David Cheney, Brent Laycock and Thep Thavonsouk, Alberta Society of Artists, Traveling Exhibition Program, (2007 - 2010).
- 2009 The Art of the Book, Calgary Public Library Foundation, Literary Awards, Calgary.
- 2006 Giddy Up Gala, Stampede Queens Alumni Fundraiser, Calgary.
- 2001 Jerry Selinger Memorial Tournament, Calgary. By invitation.
- 1991 Glenbow Acquisition Society Annual Ball, Calgary
- 1990 Remove, York University Grad students in conjunction with Olga Korper Gallery, Toronto, Ontario.
- 1988 Purposeful Journeys, The New Gallery, Calgary.
- 1986 Parallel and Affinities, The Prairie Gallery, Grand Prairie, Alberta.
- 1985A Measure of Success: Graduates of the ACA, 1974 - 1984, Alberta College of Art Gallery, Calgary.