|Abstract Expression, Collage, Dada, Outsider|
|Jackson Pollock, Clyfford Still, Roland Reiss, Gerhard Richter, Sam Gilliam, Paul Jenkins, Zou Kuo Zi, Ai Wei-Wei, Alberto Burri, Francis Bacon, Dr Alan Blizzard|
|See all of Jim Ulrich's work here.|
Spread the word about Jim Ulrich
From retired lecturer to globetrotting artist
Jim Ulrich retired in 2013 after 40 years teaching at the Alberta University of Art. During his time there he was awarded the title of Professor Emeritus. He also earned the Research Excellence Award for Demonstrating Excellence in Research.
As an artist of more than forty years, Jim has been most inspired by his interest in natural phenomena and international travel. These interests have engaged him in many projects worldwide. Because some of these projects took him to Northern Australia, Thailand and California, Jim now splits his time between homes in Canada and Thailand.
Jim creates his art in mixed media or acrylic on canvas and he describes his art as a mixture of abstract expressionism, Dadaism, collage and Outsider. His influences include Pollock, Richter, Reiss and Burri.
Jim's art has been exhibited around the world since the year 2000 (see below). To suit any taste or budget, his paintings are available in drawing size to mural size and can be scaled for public works or commercial interiors.
- 2016: MEKONG LIGHTS, Fox Galleries, Melbourne, Australia.
- 2014: HIDDEN TREASURES, City Stage Gallery, Red Deer, Alberta, Canada.
- 2013: 40 YEAR RETROSPECTIVE, Alberta College of Art and Design, Calgary, Canada.
- 2013: MADE IN CALGARY, Glen Bow Museum, Calgary, Canada.
- 2008: FLY OVER, Narai Gallery, Pattaya, Thailand.
- 2003: DESTINATION DRAWING, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia and Beijing, China.
- 2000: VORGESTELLT, Potsdam, Germany.
For a complete list of Jim's exhibitions, please visit www.jimulrichstudio.com